Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Effect of light and melatonin and other melatonin receptor agonists on human circadian physiology.Sleep Med Clin. 2015; 10: 435-453
- Clinical practice guideline for the treatment of intrinsic circadian rhythm sleep-wake disorders: advanced sleep-wake phase disorder (ASWPD), delayed sleep-wake phase disorder (DSWPD), non-24-hour sleep-wake rhythm disorder (N24SWD), and irregular sleep-wake rhythm disorder (ISWRD). An update for 2015: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine clinical practice guideline.J Clin Sleep Med. 2015; 11: 1199-1236
- Molecular components of the mammalian circadian clock.Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2013; 217: 3-27
- Sleep and wakefulness out of phase with internal biological time impairs learning in humans.J Cogn Neurosci. 2006; 18: 508-521
- Adverse metabolic and cardiovascular consequences of circadian misalignment.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106: 4453-4458
- Depression scores associate with chronotype and social jetlag in a rural population.Chronobiol Int. 2011; 28: 771-778
- Recommended amount of sleep for a healthy adult: a joint consensus statement of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and Sleep Research Society.Sleep. 2015; 38: 843-844
- Circadian rhythm sleep disorders.Prim Care. 2005; 32: 449-473
- Free-running activity rhythms in the rat: entrainment by melatonin.Science. 1983; 219: 1089-1091
- Some effects of melatonin and the control of its secretion in humans.in: Evered D. Clark S. Photoperiodism, melatonin, and the pineal. Pitman, London1985: 266-283
- The human phase response curve (PRC) to melatonin is about 12 hours out of phase with the PRC to light.Chronobiol Int. 1998; 15: 71-83
- Human phase response curves to three days of daily melatonin: 0.5 mg versus 3.0 mg.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 3325-3331
- Melatonin receptors step into the light: cloning and classification of subtypes.Trends Pharmacol Sci. 1996; 17: 100-102
- Melatonin receptors: role on sleep and circadian rhythm regulation.Sleep Med. 2007; 8: 34-42
National Sleep Foundation. 2005 Sleep in America Poll. Available at: https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-polls-data/sleep-in-america-poll/2005-adult-sleep-habits-and-styles. Accessed Jan 2, 2018.
- Insomnia associated with valerian and melatonin usage in the 2002 National Health Interview Survey.Sleep. 2007; 30: 881-884
- Bioavailability of melatonin in humans after day-time administration of D(7) melatonin.Biopharm Drug Dispos. 2000; 21: 15-22
- Melatonin for the prevention and treatment of jet lag.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002; 2 (CD001520)
- Potential safety issues in the use of the hormone melatonin in paediatrics.J Paediatr Child Health. 2015; 51: 584-589
- The safety of melatonin in humans.Clin Drug Investig. 2016; 36: 169-175
- Acute melatonin administration in humans impairs glucose tolerance in both the morning and evening.Sleep. 2014; 37: 1715-1719
- Common type 2 diabetes risk variant in MTNR1B worsens the deleterious effect of melatonin on glucose tolerance in humans.Metabolism. 2015; 64: 1650-1657
- The endogenous melatonin profile as a marker of circadian phase position.J Biol Rhythms. 1999; 14: 227-236
- Comparisons of the variability of three markers of the human circadian pacemaker.J Biol Rhythms. 2002; 17: 181-193
- Home circadian phase assessments with measures of compliance yield accurate dim light melatonin onsets.Sleep. 2015; 38: 889-897
- Entrainment of free-running circadian rhythms by melatonin in blind people.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 1070-1077
- Melatonin entrains free-running blind people according to a physiological dose-response curve.Chronobiol Int. 2005; 22: 1093-1106
- Low, but not high, doses of melatonin entrained a free-running blind person with long circadian period.Chronobiol Int. 2002; 19: 649-658
- Effect of inducing nocturnal serum melatonin concentrations in daytime on sleep, mood, body temperature, and performance.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1994; 91: 1824-1828
- Using bright light and melatonin to reduce jet lag.in: Perlis M. Aloia M. Kuhn B. Behavioral treatments for sleep disorders: a comprehensive primer of behavioral sleep medicine treatment protocols. Elsevier, Burlington (New Jersey)2011: 151-157
- Using bright light and melatonin to adjust to night work.in: Perlis M. Aloia M. Kuhn B. Behavioral treatments for sleep disorders: a comprehensive primer of behavioral sleep medicine treatment protocols. Elsevier, Burlington (New Jersey)2011: 159-165
- The efficacy and safety of exogenous melatonin for primary sleep disorders. A meta-analysis.J Gen Int Med. 2005; 20: 1151-1158
- Meta-analysis: melatonin for the treatment of primary sleep disorders.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e63773
- Evidence for the efficacy of melatonin in the treatment of primary adult sleep disorders.Sleep Med Rev. 2017; 34: 10-22
- Sleep-facilitating effect of exogenous melatonin in healthy young men and women is circadian-phase dependent.Sleep. 2006; 29: 609-618
- Repeated melatonin supplementation improves sleep in hypertensive patients treated with beta-blockers: a randomized controlled trial.Sleep. 2012; 35: 1395-1402
- Clinical practice guideline for the pharmacologic treatment of chronic insomnia in adults: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine clinical practice guideline.J Clin Sleep Med. 2017; 13: 307-349
- Thermoregulatory effects of melatonin in relation to sleepiness.Chronobiol Int. 2006; 23: 475-484
- Putative melatonin receptors in a human biological clock.Science. 1988; 242: 78-81
- Melatonin natural health products and supplements: presence of serotonin and significant variability of melatonin content.J Clin Sleep Med. 2017; 13: 275-281
- Comparison of melatonin products against USP’s nutritional supplements standards and other criteria.J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash). 1999; 39: 27-31
Available at: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/30/gnc-to-strengthen-supplement-quality-controls. Accessed Jan 2, 2018.
Available at: http://www.usp.org/verification-services/program-participants. Accessed Jan 2, 2018.
ConsumerLab.com. Product review: melatonin supplements. Available at: www.consumerlab.com/results/melatonin.asp. Accessed Jan 2, 2018.
- Melatonin in the afternoons of a gradually advancing sleep schedule enhances the circadian rhythm phase advance.Psychopharmacol (Berl). 2013; 225: 825-837
- Diagnosis and treatment of non-24-h sleep-wake disorder in the blind.Drugs. 2017; 77: 637-650
- Non-24-hour disorder in blind individuals revisited: variability and the influence of environmental time cues.Sleep. 2013; 36: 1091-1100
- Melatonin entrains free-running blind individuals with circadian periods less than 24 hours.Sleep. 2006; 29: A62
- Sex difference in the near-24-hour intrinsic period of the human circadian timing system.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011; 108: 15602-15608
- Advancing human circadian rhythms with afternoon melatonin and morning intermittent bright light.J Clin Endocr Metab. 2006; 91: 54-59
- Phase advance with separate and combined melatonin and light treatment.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011; 214: 515-523
- Combination of light and melatonin time cues for phase advancing the human circadian clock.Sleep. 2013; 36: 1617-1624
- Home dim light melatonin onsets with measures of compliance in delayed sleep phase disorder.J Sleep Res. 2016; 25: 314-317
- Efficacy of prolonged release melatonin in insomnia patients aged 55-80 years: quality of sleep and next-day alertness outcomes.Curr Med Res Opin. 2007; 23: 2597-2605
Available at: http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Summary_for_the_public/human/000695/WC500026805.pdf. Accessed Jan 2, 2018.
- Tasimelteon for non-24-hour sleep-wake disorder in totally blind people (SET and RESET): two multicentre, randomised, double-masked, placebo-controlled phase 3 trials.Lancet. 2015; 386: 1754-1764
- Melatonin agonist tasimelteon (VEC-162) for transient insomnia after sleep-time shift: two randomised controlled multicentre trials.Lancet. 2009; 373: 482-491
Available at: https://wayback.archive-it.org/7993/20170405224953/https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/PeripheralandCentralNervousSystemDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/UCM374388.pdf. Accessed Jan 2, 2018.
- Circadian phase-shifting effects of repeated ramelteon administration in healthy adults.J Clin Sleep Med. 2008; 4: 456-461
- Ramelteon for the treatment of insomnia in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Sleep Med. 2014; 15: 385-392
- Early evening melatonin and S-20098 advance circadian phase and nocturnal regulation of core body temperature.Am J Physiol. 1997; 272: R1178-R1188
- Phase-shifts of 24-h rhythms of hormonal release and body temperature following early evening administration of the melatonin agonist agomelatine in healthy older men.Clin Endocrinol. 2005; 63: 298-304
- Comparison of agomelatine and escitalopram on nighttime sleep and daytime condition and efficacy in major depressive disorder patients.Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2011; 26: 252-262
- A systematic review of agomelatine-induced liver injury.J Mol Psychiatry. 2015; 3: 4
- Antidepressant efficacy of agomelatine: meta-analysis of published and unpublished studies.BMJ. 2014; 348: g1888
- Phase-dependent treatment of delayed sleep phase syndrome with melatonin.Sleep. 2005; 28: 1271-1278
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study of the effect of exogenous melatonin on delayed sleep phase syndrome.Psychosom Med. 2001; 63: 40-48
- Antidepressant action of melatonin in the treatment of delayed sleep phase syndrome.Sleep Med. 2010; 11: 131-136
- Dose finding of melatonin for chronic idiopathic childhood sleep onset insomnia: an RCT.Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010; 212: 379-391
- Melatonin for chronic sleep onset insomnia in children: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.J Child Neurol. 2001; 16: 86-92
- Effect of melatonin on sleep, behavior, and cognition in ADHD and chronic sleep-onset insomnia.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007; 46: 233-241
- Double blind randomised placebo controlled trial of low dose melatonin for sleep disorders in dementia.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2002; 17: 1120-1127
- Melatonin versus placebo in children with autism spectrum conditions and severe sleep problems not amenable to behaviour management strategies: a randomised controlled crossover trial.J Autism Dev Disord. 2011; 41: 175-184
- The effects of low-dose 0.5-mg melatonin on the free-running circadian rhythms of blind subjects.J Biol Rhythms. 2003; 18: 420-429
- Melatonin administration can entrain the free-running circadian system of blind subjects.J Endocrinol. 2000; 164: R1-R6
- Do evidence-based treatments for circadian rhythm sleep-wake disorders make the GRADE? Updated guidelines point to need for more clinical research.J Clin Sleep Med. 2015; 11: 1079-1080
This article originally appeared in June, 2018 issue of Sleep Medicine Clinics (Volume 13, Issue 2).
Disclosure: H.J. Burgess is a consultant for Natrol, LLC. J.S. Emens has nothing to disclose.