Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The future of medicine is in your smartphone.Wall Street Journal. 2015; (Available at:) (Accessed October 15, 2015)
- Objective measurement of patterns of nasal CPAP use by patients with obstructive sleep apnea.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993; 147: 887-895
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) position paper for the use of telemedicine for the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders.J Clin Sleep Med. 2015; 11: 1187-1198
What is Telemedicine? Available at: http://www.americantelemed.org/about-telemedicine/what-is-telemedicine#.Vpw0jxUrLuo. Accessed October 15, 2015.
- Effect of lifestyle-focused text messaging on risk factor modification in patients with coronary heart disease.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1255-1263
- Randomised trial of text messaging on adherence to cardiovascular preventive treatment (INTERACT trial).PLoS One. 2014; 9: e114268
- Linking clinic and home: a randomized, controlled clinical effectiveness trial of real-time, wireless blood pressure monitoring for older patients with kidney disease and hypertension.Blood Press Monit. 2013; 18: 8-15
- Apple app store still leads Android in total number of medical apps.MedPage Today. 2013; (Available at:) (Accessed December 13, 2015)
- Efficacy of an Internet-based behavioral intervention for adults with insomnia.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009; 66: 692-698
- A new educational program for patients suffering from sleep apnea syndrome.Patient Educ Couns. 2006; 60: 220-227
- CPAP compliance: video education may help!.Sleep Med. 2005; 6: 171-174
- Can intensive support improve continuous positive airway pressure use in patients with the sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome?.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 159: 1096-1100
- A pilot trial of a telecommunications system in sleep apnea management.Med Care. 2004; 42: 764-769
- Pilot randomized trial of the effect of wireless telemonitoring on compliance and treatment efficacy in obstructive sleep apnea.J Med Internet Res. 2007; 9: e14
- The impact of a telemedicine monitoring system on positive airway pressure adherence in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: a randomized controlled trial.Sleep. 2012; 35: 477-481
- Web-based access to positive airway pressure usage with or without an initial financial incentive improves treatment use in patients with obstructive sleep apnea.Sleep. 2015; 38: 1229-1236
- Patient perspective on use of an interactive website for sleep apnea.Int J Telemed Appl. 2013; 2013: 239382
Hardy W, Powers J, Jasko JG, et al. SleepMapper. A mobile application and website to engage sleep apnea patients in PAP therapy and improve adherence to treatment. Philips White Paper. Available at: http://cdn.sleepreviewmag.com/sleeprev/2014/06/SleepMapper-Adherence-White-Paper.pdf. Accessed January 17, 2016.
- A telehealth program for CPAP adherence reduces labor and yields similar adherence and efficacy when compared to standard of care.Sleep Breath. 2016; ([Epub ahead of print])
Chang J, Liang J, Hwang D, et al. Impact of interactive web-based education and automated feedback program on CPAP adherence for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea (Abstract). SLEEP 2016; Denver, CA, 2016.
Comstock J. Price Waterhouse: 1 in 5 Americans owns a wearable, 1 in 10 wears them daily. Available at: http://mobihealthnews.com/37543/pwc-1-in-5-americans-owns-a-wearable-1-in-10-wears-them-daily/. Accessed September 11, 2015.
Fitness tracker buying guide. Consumer Reports. Available at: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/fitness-trackers/buying-guide.htm. Accessed December 17, 2015.
Kell J. These new wearables aren't for your wrist. Fortunate. Available at: http://fortune.com/2016/01/16/wearables-not-on-your-wrist/. Accessed January 17, 2016.
- Is there a clinical role for smartphone sleep apps? Comparison of sleep cycle detection by a smartphone application to polysomnography.J Clin Sleep Med. 2015; 11: 709-715
Prindle D. These sensor-studded headphones can sense when you’re in deep sleep, trigger lucid dreams. Yahoo. Available at: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/sensor-studded-headphones-sense-deep-192917652.html. Accessed January 17, 2016.
- Systematic review of the validity and reliability of consumer-wearable activity trackers.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015; 12: 159
- Comparison of a commercial accelerometer with polysomnography and actigraphy in children and adolescents.Sleep. 2015; 38: 1323-1330
- Community-based peer-led diabetes self-management: a randomized trial.Diabetes Educ. 2009; 35: 641-651
- A pilot study of CPAP adherence promotion by peer buddies with sleep apnea.J Clin Sleep Med. 2013; 9: 543-550
What is population health management? Wellcentive. Available at: http://www.wellcentive.com/what-is-population-health-management/. Accessed October 1, 2015.
Disclosure Statement: The author has received recent research support from the American Sleep Medicine Foundation (ASMF; Physician Scientist Training Award and Strategic Research grant 104SR13) and Itamar Medical Ltd. The author has previously received research support from the National Institutes of Health (grant 1 T32 HL072752) and Ventus Medical, Inc. ASMF supported the research presented on Fig. 1. The other sponsors do not represent a conflict of interest.